How to Store Important Business Documents in Self-Storage
Have you ever noticed that business files, paper and documents have begun to take over your office? Or are you quickly running out of storage space due to these items? If so, then it is high time you begin to think about using a self-storage facility for the storage of your documents.
When you store important documents in self-storage, it helps to reduce the amount of clutter in your office, all while increasing your productivity and work space.
Select a Secure Facility for Documents Storage
When you are ready to choose a facility for storing your documents, you need to choose one that is located nearby your actual business location. After all, if you ever have to access these documents in the future, the last thing you want to have to do is drive all the way across town.
When you are storing business documents, it's best to choose a facility that is climate controlled. With climate control, you can protect the documents that may be damaged due to extreme weather, such as freezing temperatures, humidity or heat. Climate controlled storage units help maintain a constant temperature throughout the year so units never get too cold or too hot.
Since you are going to be storing business and employee records, it's absolutely essential that you choose a storage facility that offers a secure location, which should include a computerized gate access system, strong locks, keypad entry and video surveillance.
Protect All Your Files by Using Document Storage Boxes
Make sure that you have the proper types of document storage boxes, as well as other storage supplies when it is time for you to pack up your documents. You need to put the documents in a strong, sturdy cardboard box, and use some type of filler material so that the documents don't start to shift when they are moved in or out of the storage unit you are using. Just like with any other storage box, you need to ensure that your document storage boxes have been properly sealed with a quality packaging tape if they won't be accessed for some time.
Tips for Storing Your Important Documents
Once you have made the decision that you want to store your business documents in a self-storage unit, there are several things you need to keep in mid when getting your boxes prepared. These tips are listed here:
- Don't share your security code or the keys to the unit where the documents are stored with many people. In most cases, there are going to be personal files that are stored, and these only need to be accessed by individuals who have the proper authorization.
- When you are packing your document boxes, you need to make sure that you fill the boxes all the way to the top, and that you add filler material. Don't try to overstuff the boxes. Also, don't use newspaper as your filler, as the print may rub off on your documents.
- Save your monthly storage bill as you may be able to deduct the cost of your storage unit during tax season
- Be sure that your document storage boxes are no more than 30 to 50 pounds. This will ensure you can move and lift them with ease.
- Don't leave the document storage boxes sitting on the ground. Instead, raise them up using cardboard, plastic sheeting, wood or by putting the boxes on pallets. Ideally, a great solution is to use shelving units for your document storage boxes.
- If it is possible, try to use boxes that have air tight packaging for your documents. This will protect them from any type of water damage if there happens to be a flood.
- Put your oldest files in the back of your storage unit. Then, put the files that you may need to get into more often toward the front of the unit. The same is true for the box stacks you are going to make. Put the oldest ones (and the ones that are not going to be needed) close to the bottom and put your newer documents near the top of the stack.
- Be sure to label all of your boxes with what is inside of them. You can use a numbering system for the stored boxes that you can then list in a spreadsheet to cross-check things when necessary. This will also make it easier for you to find the documents you need when the time arrives.
Storage Solutions for Your Documents
The fact is, by putting your important documents in storage, you can free up space in your office, while still keeping your documents safe and secure. This helps to ensure that you have the information that's needed, and that you are not having to take up valuable space in your office with documents that you don't need on a daily basis. Free up that valuable office space and store the paper clutter once and for all by using self-storage for your documents.
We're Your Storage Solution!
Storage Rentals of America is your convenient self-storage solution. So come into our office or give our storage experts a call at 1-800-457-5678. Our call center is available 7 days a week and can help determine which storage unit size best fits your storage needs.