Fun Family Activities Around Florence, South Carolina
Florence is a city that inherited the prestigious title of "All- American City" for its many virtues that include its robust economic growth and lively local culture. It is a popular commuter town as well as a great place to live and work. Located between two major highways, I-95 and I-20, residents can easily navigate the state and local area. Florence is the flagship city of the Florence Metropolitan Area and has given itself the city motto "Full life. Full forward." Individuals who are looking for family-friendly activities will find many things to do in Florence.
- Highlights: Residents can find a variety of local events happening here throughout the year!
- What to expect: A fun assortment of markets and shows take place in this recently rebranded historic district in Florence.
If you're looking for fun local events that everyone in the family can enjoy, check out Downtown Florence. This area experienced a major redevelopment in 2010 that involved rebranding and the restoration of historic buildings. Today, this seventy-square area is a popular hub for events that take place throughout the year. The list of events is quite extensive and diverse, so there is sure to be something for everyone. For more information, here is the official list of upcoming events for Downtown Florence.
Three of the most well-known events in this district are the City Center Farmers Market, the Florence after Five concert series, and the South Carolina Pecan Festival. It's also common for people to walk around this area and admire the preserved historic sites, socialize at local restaurants, and go shopping. There is also a new activity called Downtown Fountain for Children that gives children a water pad to play on and places to lunch in a family-friendly environment.
Parks and Recreation
- Highlights: Florence's network of parks and public facilities offer many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors and stay active physically and socially.
- What to expect: Hiking trails, basketball courts, playgrounds, tennis courts, football games, and a recreation complex to keep you active!
The Florence City Parks and Recreation Department plans, organizes, governs, and executes leisure activities for the residents of Florence. There are 14 parks and recreation areas that equate to 600 acres of space to take a walk, ride your bike, walk your dog, play in a park, and rock climb. In these 14 parks, there are 50 tennis courts, 25 soccer fields, 10 children's playgrounds, 5 community centers, 27 baseball fields, a new track and field facility, and 16 basketball courts. If you don't want to play a sport, feel free to simply enjoy the outdoors and have a picnic in one of the many available open fields.
Florence County Museum
- Highlights: Prepare to immerse yourself the Florence region's rich historical roots. Fun for both kids and adults are in store!
- What to expect: See dynamic exhibits and educational programs that appeal to people of all ages. There are many artifacts from the Civil War and Colonial Period.
The Florence County Museum is close to Downtown Florence and part of the Downtown Fountain for Children program. There are always new exhibitions available for public viewing. The museum especially focuses on local history that spans back to the Colonial Period. It is also where you can find The Wright Collection of Southern Art, which is a precious collection of 140 works of Southern art. There are also contemporary artists featured in the museum. There is something here that appeals to the whole family and much to learn about Florence's past, present, and hopes for the future.
Cottle Strawberry Farm
- Highlights: Fresh strawberries that you can pick yourself or buy in buckets!
- What to expect: During strawberry picking season, take the kids out for a morning or afternoon of farm fun!
There's something satisfying about eating fresh strawberries that you picked yourself. At Cottle Strawberry Farm, you get the chance every spring. Make wonderful memories with your family as you pull back from the daily grind and pick strawberries the old fashioned way. Visitors rave about how great fresh strawberries taste when they're in season and ripe! This farm is conveniently located off I-95 so it's also easy to find. Come dressed for some authentic strawberry pickin' and you'll have a blast!
- Highlights: The only enclosed mall in 60 miles, offering a rare all-inclusive shopping experience!
- What to expect: This is the Pee Dee region's shopping hub, so expect to see many of your favorite chain stores as you walk around.
Magnolia Mall has a lot to offer for a fun afternoon or evening out. For true shopping fans, this is the ultimate place to browse through your favorite stores and spend time pampering yourself. Since there isn't another mall like this in a 60-mile radius, visitors come here ready to invest in a long day of shopping. There are also many restaurants on-site to fuel your adventure. When you need to take a break, but the kids still have energy to spare, take a load off at the soft indoor play area.
Family Fun in Florence: Be in the Know
Knowing what's near you for entertainment plays a large role in deciding where your future home will be. Florence is a great place for active families that allows year-round activities that appeal to many different interests. If you want to explore another city, check out our other Family Fun City Guides.
We're Your Storage Solution!
Storage Rentals of America is your convenient self-storage solution. So come into our office or give our storage experts a call at 1-800-457-5678. Our call center is available 7 days a week and can help determine which storage unit size best fits your storage needs.